Sunday, April 22, 2007

It's time


I was having a conversation with one of my non-crafty friends about six months ago and somehow the topic of quilting came up. She was telling me about her mum's quilting and asked if I was interested.

"Nah, not really" I said "It's kind of like porcelain figurines. I might 'get it' when i'm older."

I thought about it after she left. I admire quilters a lot. I think it's a wonderful skill, creative and useful. So why no interest in doing it? Perhaps it's my inability to sew in a straight line? Or cut out even two shapes that resemble each? Or maybe it just seems like a lot of work and i'm lazy.


Or maybe there just hasn't been the right reason? Lots of quilts seem to be made for a purpose. A wedding. A birth. Lace shawls seem to have become the default wedding gift, so I guess that leaves births. My good friends aren't having babies yet, so I'll deal with quilting when they do, I thought.

Seems the time has come. (This is just so exciting I still get a bit emotional when I think about it.)

So in a joint operation materials have been purchased (first photo is for the front, second is for the back).

Wish me luck peeps. This should be interesting.

15 comments:

Madge said...

Luck! Aw, don't worry, your quilt is gonna be beautiful!

*squee* babies*

Anonymous said...

Those fabrics are gorgeous! I love the bold colours. Good luck with the quilt, Kristie!

Anonymous said...

how exciting! you will love quilting, especially with that gorgeous amy butler fabric, you can't go wrong! :0)

Shazmina Bendi said...

LOL, great minds think alike!! The fabric is gorgeous, the quilt is going to be beautiful!!

Alice said...

I'm about to take the same leap - a small baby one for a friend of my boyfriend who about to drop a sprog. I'm yet to get the fabric, just having a few ideas in my head.

You've articulated basically the same process of feelings I've been going through.

Chrissy said...

It'll be awesome. Thoes colors and patterns go together really well.

Rose Red said...

I plan to quilt...one day...Your fabrics look lovely.

Mandy said...

Beautiful fabric. You will do great!

I learned to quilt and crochet from my mother and grandmother, and I don't do either. Although, lately I've had the itch to crochet. I'm sure after I see your lovely quilt, I'll get the itch to make a quilt.

melissa said...

good luck! i'm sure you don't need it - you'll do great! and you picked out gorgeous fabric. that's going to be one awesome quilt!

Kara said...

Wow, you are braver than I. Good luck!

elizabeth marley said...

I love the fabric. I'm sure you're on your way to having the coolest looking quilt ever.

Lindy said...

Good luck! I've been staring longingly at quilts lately, but unfortunately my sewing skills aren't up to the challenge. I'm sure yours will turn out really well. I love the fabric you picked out. I love and simple geometric and floral patterns in bold colors. I think you'll end up with something really unique and classically elegant, all at the same time!

Leah said...

You are going to be the best quilter EVA!!!

With all those fantastic fabrics & those lovely straight lines you sew so well!!!

I can't wait to see it!

Sweet Treat said...

May the force be with you! Sounds scary... but the fabric is soooo divine!

Sourire11 said...

Good luck! I know nothing about quilting but really, with that fun fabric how could you go wrong?

and congrats to your friend!